CHRISTEL LEE WINS THE 11. INTERNATIONAL JEAN SIBELIUS VIOLIN COMPETITION
Christel Lee from USA has won the 11. International Jean Sibelius Violin Competition in Helsinki. The prize winners are:
I prize 25 000 € Christel Lee, USA
II prize 18 000 € Emmanuel Tjeknavorian, Austria
III prize 12 000 € Friederike Starkloff, Germany
Three other finalists, Mayumi Kanagawa (USA), Minami Yoshida (Japan) and Nancy Zhou (USA) received a prize of 2000 € each. Also the following special prizes were awarded:
- The Foundation of Helsinki Conservatory of Music awarded a special prize of 3000€ to Emmanuel Tjeknavorian for the best interpretation of Sibelius Violin Concerto
- City of Järvenpää awarded a special prize of 2000 € to Friederike Starkloff for the best interpretation of commissioned piece in second round. The commissioned piece was one of the award-winning pieces from Jean Sibelius Composition Competition 2015.
- The best Finnish contestant Pekko Pulakka got the special prize from the Finnish Broadcasting Company Yleisradio; invitation to make a recording for Yle.
Christel Lee will perform at the following concerts in December:
- Soloist of The Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, conductor Hannu Lintu at Jean Sibelius 150th Anniversary Concert in Hämeenlinna on 8th December.
- Soloist of The Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, conductor John Storgårds on 10th December in Birmingham and and 12th December in Dublin
Back to news